These little crackers pair beautifully with cheeses, pickled vegetables, cured meats, jams and preserves. They are full of cracked whole grains and flaxseeds for extra crunch. The best thing is that they are so simple to make!
Red River Snack Crackers
- food processor, mixing bowl, rolling pin, pizza cutter or sharp knife, sheet pan, parchment paper
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup Red River cereal or equal mix or steel cut wheat, steel cut rye and flax seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Add all dry ingredients to the bowl of the food processor and pulse for about 1 minute.
- Transfer dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and add water and oil.
- Mix into a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and divide it into quarters.
- Roll each quarter into a very thin rectangle, about 8 inches by 9 inches as thin as possible, no more than 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Prick dough with a fork, in rows. Make sure there are enough holes for all the crackers.
- Cut into rectangles or desired shapes with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Bake on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper for about 12 minutes, or until crackers are just becoming golden. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.