Jamaican curry powder has a distinct flavour profile that sets it apart from other curry powders that you may have tried. The presence of allspice is the main difference. Without allspice, it just is not Jamaican. Full stop. Fenugreek, nutmeg and mustard seeds all lend their magic to make this a unique and fragrant spice blend that you will want to have on hand, always.
Jamaican Curry Powder
- coffee mill or mortar and pestle
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seed
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground all spice
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Place all whole spice ingredients in a heavy bottom pan.
- Set over medium heat until the spices are toasted. They will begin to darken slightly and will become fragrant. This only takes a few minutes. Be careful not to burn your spices.
- Let spices cool, then place in a mortar or coffee mill and grind into a fine powder.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients and store in an airtight jar.