Meatloaf is pure comfort food. Adding a southern bbq flavour will make it a smash hit with your friends and family. Here’s what makes this recipe rise above the rest:
- A 50/50 blend of beef and pork keeps the meatloaf light and juicy.
- Saltines retain the flavour and texture of the meat better than bread crumbs.
- Frying off the onions before adding them to the mix gives a umami loaded sweetness.
- The addition of Shaoxing wine or cooking sherry enhances the flavour of everything.
- Glazing the meatloaf all around, without a loaf pan, seals in the juices. Glazing it a second time gives it a fabulous bark.
One of the best things about meatloaf is the sandwiches you can make from the cold leftovers…that is, if there are any!
Juicy BBQ Meatloaf
Juices flow out of this flavourful meatloaf as soon as you slice it!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion or half a large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltine crackers ((about 25 individual crackers))
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp<wprm-code></wprm-code> freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp shaoxing cooking wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp bacon fat or other oil for frying
- 1/2 cup <wprm-code><a href="/eats/damn-good-bbq-sauce">damn good bbq sauce</a></wprm-code>