Meatloaf is pure comfort food. Adding a southern bbq flavour will make it a smash hit with your friends and family. Here’s what makes this recipe rise above the rest:
- A 50/50 blend of beef and pork keeps the meatloaf light and juicy.
- Saltines retain the flavour and texture of the meat better than bread crumbs.
- Frying off the onions before adding them to the mix gives a umami loaded sweetness.
- The addition of Shaoxing wine or cooking sherry enhances the flavour of everything.
- Glazing the meatloaf all around, without a loaf pan, seals in the juices. Glazing it a second time gives it a fabulous bark.
One of the best things about meatloaf is the sandwiches you can make from the cold leftovers…that is, if there are any!
Juicy BBQ Meatloaf
- large mixing bowl, frying pan, baking pan, parchment paper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion or half a large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltine crackers (about 25 individual crackers)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp
freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp shaoxing cooking wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp bacon fat or other oil for frying
- 1/2 cup
damn good bbq sauce