Curry flavours vary from region to region and Jamaican curries definitely have their own, distinct flavour. Liberal use of coconut milk, allspice in the curry blend, and the sweet and kick of spicy scotch bonnet peppers are what set these dishes apart. I have used scotch bonnet sauce in my recipe, but you can certainly add a chopped fresh scotch bonnet at the same time you add the garlic and ginger to the curry paste. Try my Jamaican Curry Powder recipe. If not, then make sure you use a real Jamaican one, or it just won’t have the taste of the island.
Crack open a Red Stripe or a Ting and pretend you are somewhere else for the evening!
Jamaican Chicken Curry
- frying pan, baking dish, large saucepan
- 3 lbs chicken back quarters
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp
Jamaican curry powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 large potato, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp scotch bonnet sauce, or to taste
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 - 4 chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Fry chicken in hot oil for 5 - 7 minutes per side, until well browned.
- Transfer chicken to baking dish and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- Let chicken rest and cool while preparing the sauce.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan set on medium high.
- Add onion and cook until tender, but not brown.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for about a minute longer.
- Add curry powder and cook for another minute, stirring to coat all of the ingredients well.
- Add tomato paste, chicken stock, and coconut milk. Bring to the boil and add carrots and potatoes.
- Turn down to medium low and cook uncovered until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, remove chicken meat from the bones and cut into large bite-sized pieces.
- Add chicken and bell peppers to sauce and cover. Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with chopped green onion.