I’ve played around with making my own BBQ sauce for years. I found that simple is best. This sauce has great flavour, tang and stickiness without using a long list of ingredients. It’s also a great base for experimenting with your own spice combinations. You could use different vinegars, substitute honey for brown sugar, add some chili powder for extra kick, or whatever you like. The proportions given here will be your guide to one great mop sauce.
Damn Good BBQ Sauce
- small saucepan
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white vinegar White vinegar will yield a sharper tasting sauce.
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp cooking molasses
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add vinegar and brown sugar to a saucepan on medium high heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat to low and let sauce simmer for 50 minutes.