Frittata is the Italian word for a dish that is made in a pan with eggs. Similar to an omelet or a Spanish tortilla (not to be confused with tortillas found in the Americas) they are one of the most versatile dishes in the world. The origin is mysterious, since versions are seen all over the Mediterranean, from Europe to the Middle East and North Africa. Sounds like the Romans may have had something to do with it. They are considered humble, home cooked meals that are thrown together in a hurry. using whatever is on hand. To me, that makes them one of the best, go-to meals in a pinch. You can gussy them up with excellent, fresh ingredients, or just raid the fridge and see what comes out the other end.
First, the filling ingredients should be cooked. You can start from scratch or use leftovers. The eggs are then poured over the filling, swirled together and cooked on the stove. When half done, you can cover in cheese and top it off in the oven. How easy is that? Enjoy yours with grilled bread, toast or a side salad.
A Frittata for Brunch
- cast iron pan or oven proof baking dish
- 8 large eggs or 10 medium eggs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese or meltable cheese of your choice
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp olive, avocado or vegetable oil for frying
Filling As Shown
- 1 Italian sausage cut up into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional Filling Ideas
- 1/2 cup salmon or shrimp
- 1/2 cup spinach or rapini
- 1/2 cup chopped ham, pancetta or guanciale bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup zucchini or summer squash
- 1/2 cup broccoli or rapini
- 6 stalks of asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped canned artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
Fresh Herbs to Taste
- chives, basil, oregano, dill, fennel leaves, cilantro, flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk and salt.
- Prepare filling ingredients and fry in a cast iron pan or heavy oven proof backing dish over medium high until tender and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over cooked filling ingredients and let cook without stirring for about 6-8 minutes, or until cooked half way through.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes or until eggs are completely set and cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Top with fresh herbs of your choice. Serve immediately with buttered toast or grilled bread and olive oil.